Say NO to plastic bags!
We all need to be aware of environmental issues. And we can all help no matter what we do for living. So, even I, a Photoshop brushes designer, can use my work to promote green ideas.
I received that email the other day. It was a PowerPoint presentation showing how much damage plastic bags are doing to our planet. And how much good could we do if we just abandon them and go for good old fabric ones or paper bags. Even China banned the use of plastic bags.
I mean, I knew already knew how bad plastic bags are, but here are some facts that stunned me and probably won’t leave you indifferent too.
Consider the Following Shocking Facts About Plastic Shopping Bags:
* Plastic bags are made of polyethylene
* Polyethylene is a petroleum product
* Production contributes to air pollution and energy consumption
* Four to five trillion plastic bags are manufactured each year
* Americans use over 380 billion polyethylene bags per year
* Americans throw away approximately 100 billion polyethylene bags per year
* Of those 100 trillion plastic bags, 1% are recycled
* It takes 1000 years for polyethylene bags to break down
* As polyethylene breaks down, toxic substances leach into the soil and enter the food chain
* Approximately 1 billion seabirds and mammals die per year by ingesting plastic bags
* Plastic bags are often mistaken as food by marine mammals. 100,000 marine mammals die yearly by eating plastic bags.
* These animals suffer a painful death, the plastic wraps around their intestines or they choke to death
* Plastic bag choke landfills
* Plastic bags are carried by the wind into forests, ponds, rivers, and lakes
So, if you are into design and Photoshop brushes, what you could do is go to Cafepress and make a 100% cotton reusable bag!
I know I did one :)
This bag was done with Paisley Designs Photoshop brushes set ->
OK. Guys! I hope you agree with me on the plastic bags issue. Have fun, have a great weekend and talk soon!